We have all heard of the remarkable recoveries and in some cases life-changing effects that antidepressant medication can have, but we rarely discuss the side effects of antidepressants. This conversation is crucial to have as some effects may not be known or discussed openly, you should discuss any concerns with your healthcare professional or you can discuss any queries at your next appointment with Dr Shanek Wick and our team at Neuralia TMS.
It is important to note that there are pros and cons to most treatments, including TMS treatment. Read more about the pros and cons of TMS treatment.
1. Weight Gain and/or Loss: It’s perhaps one of the most talked-about side effects of most prescribed antidepressants. While the science behind why this happens isn’t completely understood or known yet, many individuals have reported notable changes in their weight after starting antidepressants. In some cases, people experience weight loss, which can be a concern if unintended, and either outcome is best to be discussed with your healthcare professional.
2. Erectile Dysfunction and Other Sexual Side Effects: Here’s a tough one to discuss, but it’s important to be made aware of. Men, in particular, might experience erectile dysfunction, which can be both frustrating and concerning. But it’s not just men; many people taking antidepressants find that their sexual drive takes a backseat. It’s essential to talk to your doctor if you’re experiencing these challenges; they’re there to help you through this journey.
3. Blood Pressure and Irregular Heartbeat: Not as common, but equally significant, some individuals have reported elevated blood pressure or even an irregular heartbeat after starting on the new medication. If you’ve been feeling like your heart’s playing a different drum, or you’ve got that pressured feeling, it might be time to have a chat with your healthcare professional as promptly as possible.
4. Flu-like Symptoms and Stomach Pains: Now, this one can be tricky. Sometimes, after starting an antidepressant, you might feel like you’ve caught a mild flu or that stomach bug that’s been going around. Flu-like symptoms and stomach pains are known but less common side effects. Always listen to your body and if something feels off or it is lingering longer than the general cold would, it’s worth checking it out with your GP.
5. Breastfeeding Mother’s: This is sometimes something new mothers don’t consider or mention, but it is crucial to be informed. Some antidepressants can affect a mother’s breast milk, if you are currently breastfeeding or planning to, you must discuss your options with your GP or Dr Shanek Wick at your next appointment.
6. Vivid Dreams: Vivid dreams can be an unexpected but very real side effect of some antidepressant medication. While many find this intriguing, for others, it can be a bit unsettling.
7. Withdrawal Effects: If you are thinking of stopping, changing or altering your medication dosage, be wary of potential withdrawal effects. You can discuss ceasing or altering your medication with Dr Shanek Wick, our team here at Neuralia TMS, or your healthcare professional. Upon ceasing medication, some can experience a range of effects from mild irritability to more severe symptoms.
Antidepressant medication can provide life-changing benefits, but it is important to keep up to date about the potential side effects they may cause. If you have trialled antidepressants and found it to be unsuccessful, you may wish to consider TMS Treatment.